Combining working from home with working in the office the new hybrid working model has become increasingly popular in recent years. Providing both employers and employees with a number of benefits due to its flexibility, cuts in commuting times and travel costs whilst helping to achieve a greater work/life balance.
Unfortunately, however hybrid working also comes with its own set of challenges! Working off-site can make communication and collaboration between office-based staff and those who are working remotely quite tricky. It is equally important to ensure that employees have access to the tools and resources they need to be successful in the hybrid work environment.
Together with our friends at Post-It we have put together some tips on how to make the most of your hybrid working opportunities:
- Communicate clearly and frequently with your team and manager. Let them know your working hours, availability, and where you will be working on any given day.
- Create a central base to manage your busy schedule. The trick to making a busy schedule work is to put it all in one place first. Get yourself a planner and make it the exclusive place for writing down everything that’s going on. Highlight key times and dates with Post-it Index to help you keep an eye on your most important commitments. Then, add key details with Post-it Page Markers, which give you plenty of room if you’ve just got a lot to remember.
- Set boundaries between your work and personal life. This can be difficult when you’re working from home, but it’s important to separate your work and personal time to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Focus on the “Must Do” of the day. When you’re planning your day, your first instinct might be to reach for your calendar, a large sheet of lined notebook paper or your smartphone. We suggest starting small – for example with a single Post-it Note.
- Take advantage of the benefits of working from home and being in the office. For example, you can use your time at home to focus on tasks that require deep concentration, and your time in the office to collaborate with colleagues and build relationships.
- Remind yourself to stick to your appointments. Keeping your calendar organised and accurate is all well and good, but it counts for little if you don’t follow it. Remind yourself to stick to your appointments with Post-it Super Sticky Notes. Leave them in key places where they won’t be missed.
- Prep for tomorrow before today ends. Ensure tomorrow is productive before it even begins!! Use the last 15 minutes of the workday to make a to-do list for tomorrow on a Post-it Note!
- Set goals and limits. At the beginning of each day, identify 3-5 “must-do” tasks and colour-code them by importance with Post-it Index. Check in with your progress periodically!
- Take a breather. Science Daily studies show that taking a 15-minute breather from time-to-time can recharge your productivity and help prepare you for your next project. Write yourself a Post-it Note reminder to walk around the block, eat a piece of fruit or give yourself some brief “me” time.
- Do Not Disturb. Use Post-it Index or Post-it Super Sticky Large Size Notes near your office space to create a message that you’re temporarily off-limits. Give instruction for when and how they can check back later.
- Invest in a good home office setup. This includes having a dedicated workspace, a comfortable chair, and reliable internet access.